Re: [galeon] OGC TC meeting highlights

Hi All:

On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:34 PM, Jon Blower wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for this very valuable summary. Regarding NetCDF-KML conversion:

Obviously there is considerable interest in the academic community, but, in terms of supporting infrastructure, what might be of most use is some sort of service that would automate the process of conversion of netCDF data
slices into KML for display.

I have most of the code required to do this (for gridded NetCDF
anyway) wrapped up in my ncWMS system (http://ncwms.sf.net).  It
should be relatively straightforward to factor this out, but the
problem is finding the time to do so!  If there's anyone out there
with some time to work on this with me I'd be happy to do something
jointly.  Also we'd need some interaction with the community to find
out the best way of approaching this as there are many possible
solutions.

Cheers, Jon

Our ERDDAP service (http://coastwatch.pfel.noaa.gov/erddap) can read a variety of web services and write to a variety of formats, including kml. It essentially uses the CDM as the in-between step. It is pure java and is freely-available.

-Roy

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn