Re: [galeon] Fwd: CDM feature and point types docs

I should probably calm down - but: This really gets my goat! I've had
rabid arguments with Rob Atkinson (& to a lesser degree Simon Cox) on
this point. Actually, there's a whole community out there (actually
several) whose universe of discourse is MOST DEFINITELY these kind of
geometric/topologic/sampled objects. Points, profiles, trajectories,
grids - this is the scientific language they use, and which defines *all
the important semantics* of their data for most of the work they do. To
suggest that's not what they mean is - at best - to risk alienating a
very large group of potential users who already view 'GIS' with
skepticism; at worst to appear patronising and arrogant. There are in
fact very good reasons why such feature types *are* the kinds of things
they should call feature types. Let me quote from our CSML manual:

Physical processes occur in the natural world across a wide spectrum of
spatial and temporal scales, and considerable science informs the design
of experimental sampling strategies. It should be no surprise,
conversely, that the geometry and topology of observation sets are a
fundamental determinant of the scientific uses to which they may be put.
Moreover, the properties of the instruments used to generate data
themselves place constraints on their interpretation (e.g. as regards
accuracy, precision, calibration, required post-processing, etc.). These
two factors - the scientific utility of a sampling regime, and the
limitations of an observing process - lead to a natural, scientifically
important, classification of data types along these axes. Quite often
the two are highly correlated (certain instruments generate certain
samplings), and so scientific communities of practice adopt more
abstract conceptual information classes that nevertheless reflect
artefacts of sampling or instrument-type. This is particularly evident
in the climate sciences, where broad information classes based on
measurement-set geometry and topology have almost universal acceptance.
The following examples are illustrative.

The US National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is
developing a plan for a Global Earth Observing Integrated Data
Environment (GEO-IDE) to integrate measurements, data and products and
create interoperability across data management systems. In the GEO-IDE
Concept of Operations
(https://www.nosc.noaa.gov/dmc/docs/NOAA_GEO-IDE_CONOPS-v3-3.pdf), the
following 'structural data types' are defined: Grids, Moving-sensor
multidimensional fields, Time series, Profiles, Trajectories, Geospatial
Framework Data, Point Data, Metadata.

The ESRI 'ArcMarine' Data Model for marine data includes classes like
Instant, Location Series, Time Series, Profile Line, Track, Sounding,
Survey, {Ir}Regularly Interpolated Surfaces, Mesh Volume, etc.

File formats such as netCDF and NASA Ames utilise data models that
reflect these structures (e.g. netCDF four-dimensional gridded
lat-lon-height-time variables, or NASA Ames time-series at a point).

Questioning marine or atmospheric scientists about whether they really
want to model their world in terms of point and other geometric feature
types really risks getting some people (like me!) heat up!

Regards,
Andrew