RE: CSW, THREDDS, GALEON 2

Hi,

When this group says CSW, I assume you mean CSW.ebRIM?

Ron

From: owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ben Domenico
Sent: November 18, 2006 1:44 PM
To: Wenli Yang
Cc: Yonsook Enloe; Liping Di; access-geoscience@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; THREDDS
community; Unidata GALEON; John Helly
Subject: Re: CSW, THREDDS, GALEON 2

Wenli,

This issue of "granularity" or heirarchies or collections or groupings
of datasets that are alike in some way was one of the issues confronted
early in the THREDDS project.  As a result, I believe we have an
approach that works reasonably well in the THREDDS Data Server package.
The issue continues to arise in most discussions of data and metadata
collections and services.  In fact it was one of the issues discussed at
the 3rd Metadata Interoperability Conference I attended last week.  It
will be important to confront it in the context of OGC and ISO
standards.  The disadvantage of doing it in the WCS context is that one
can envision collections that might include Coverages, Features, and
Sensor Observations.  For example a collection of all the data related
to a specific event such as a severe storm, a flood, a hurricane, and so
forth.  One can create THREDDS catlogs for such "case studies."   But it
would be good to eventually have a standards-based interface for such
collections.  Perhaps the OGC CSW is not well suited to this sort of use
at present.  If so, it may be useful to consider suggesting
augmentations to CSW.  I believe there is a big advantage in that we
already have a working system.

I plan to send a copy of this to the THREDDS and GALEON groups as well
as to John Helly who convened the Interoperability Workshop last week.

Thanks for your careful description of the issues in terms of THREDDS
catalogs and OGC CSW..

- Ben