Re: CSW, THREDDS, GALEON 2

Wenli,

This issue of "granularity" or heirarchies or collections or groupings of
datasets that are alike in some way was one of the issues confronted early
in the THREDDS project.  As a result, I believe we have an approach that
works reasonably well in the THREDDS Data Server package.   The issue
continues to arise in most discussions of data and metadata collections and
services.  In fact it was one of the issues discussed at the 3rd Metadata
Interoperability Conference I attended last week.  It will be important to
confront it in the context of OGC and ISO standards.  The disadvantage of
doing it in the WCS context is that one can envision collections that might
include Coverages, Features, and Sensor Observations.  For example a
collection of all the data related to a specific event such as a severe
storm, a flood, a hurricane, and so forth.  One can create THREDDS
catlogs for such "case studies."   But it would be good to eventually have a
standards-based interface for such collections.  Perhaps the OGC CSW is not
well suited to this sort of use at present.  If so, it may be useful to
consider suggesting augmentations to CSW.  I believe there is a big
advantage in that we already have a working system.

I plan to send a copy of this to the THREDDS and GALEON groups as well as to
John Helly who convened the Interoperability Workshop last week.

Thanks for your careful description of the issues in terms of THREDDS
catalogs and OGC CSW..

-- Ben