Re: [WCS.RWG] comments on the "Binary Encoding of WCS Coverages in NetCDF"

John,

Thank you so much. These are great comments and corrections. I'll be happy to accept all revisions you made to the document. For the 19123 compliance, I think it's fine to use record/value to refer to range side. I am not sure, however, how netCDF folks like these terms. I guess that "variable" is a more common term in that community.

I think that netCDF can handle "an indefinitely thin rectangle" without any problem. The following is an example of a netCDF file containing a "temperature" variable T in a 4-D domain (time,level,lat,lon):

dimensions:
        lat, lon=30, level=10, time=5
variables:
        float T(time,level,lat,lon);
        float time(time),level(level),lat(lat),lon(lon)
data:
        time= 5 time values
        level= 10 level values
        lat lat values
        lon=30 lon values
        T=5x10x20x30 temperature values

We can define that time, lat, and lon all have only one value (if T is measured at one specific time and lat/lon location). Then the T is essentially an 1-D array representing a temperature profile, as the following:

dimensions:
        level=10
variables:
        float T(level)
        float level(level)
data:
        level= 10 level values
        T=5x10x20x30 temperature values

Although it's 1-D, the is still a value for lon, lat, and time and thus this 1-D array still fits the WCS model. Thus, both netCDF and WCS model can be used to represent this kind of array.

BTW, netCDF calls all the four arrays, time, level, lon, lat, and T, variables, among which T is often called primary variable and the other three coordinate variables.

Regards.

Wenli