RE: NetCDF Semantics and Data in XML

Hi Ron,

I notice that while some GML objects are used, rather key objects like netcdfGridCoverage are not derived from the corresponding GML objects (e.g. gml:GridCoverage ) and hence would not be recognized as such by GML processing software. Is this intentional?

NcML-GML is an extension of ncML data model; thus, netcdfGridCoverage extends the netcdfType element defined in ncML. More generally, the ncML-GML aims at bringing together netCDF and geographic coverage data models, making them complementary. An important feature of ncML-GML document is that it contains a valid ncML core document, from which you can easily generate a netCDF file.

Another important ncML-GML requirement was to keep the extension as simple as possible, introducing only the geographic coverage metadata supported by our community.

Naturally, this is a progressive process. As we discussed in a previous email, the opportunity to develop a future ncML-GML version which is a GML application is already on the table.

Indeed, ncML-GML version 0.7 is more complete and GML-oriented than version 0.3. Anyway, the starting point and the main motivation for ncML-GML are, respectively: netCDF + conventions dataset and to improve the description of netCDF dataset semantics.

GALEON is an important opportunity to test the interoperability level required and supported by our community.

Cheers,

---Stefano