From: owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Ben Domenico
Sent: September 9, 2005 9:47 AM
To: Unidata GALEON
Subject: NetCDF Semantics and Data in XML

Hi,

Based on recent interactions with Stefano Nativi and Lorenzo Bigagli,
I've created a web page at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/GALEON/TestDatasets/
NcMLAndGML.htm

which describes work at the University of Florence encoding semantics
and, in some cases, data into various XML dialects based on the netCDF
Markup Language (NcML).  In the document, there are pointers to examples
of NcML, NcML-CS, and NcML-GML for the galeon test dataset sst.nc.  The
NcML-GML encoding provides several options for encoding the semantics
and providing direct or deferred netCDF data access -- all based on an
adaptation of the OGC GML standard.  There is also a brief summary of
the status and short term plans of the University of Florence GALEON WCS
effort.

It will be very interesting to see how many of the clients involved in
the GALEON experiment are capable of working with netCDF data access in
this OGC standard form.

Also I would like to set up our second GALEON telecon next week if
possible, so I'd encourage participants to summarize their efforts over
the last month at the GALEON wiki

http://galeon-wcs.jot.com/WikiHome

and let me know whether you can participate on a telecon on Thursday or
Friday next week.  Starting the telecon at 8am pacific time seemed to
work for participants except for those in Oceania.