Re: GMU WCS Server supports netCDF output

On 8/25/05, John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
we should perhaps revive our CF-to-WKT translation project. I'll write the Java
if youll write the C
code ;^)

John,

Well, internally we will need to write code that takes the CF
projection definitions and turns it into an OGRSpatialReference
which is essentially a C++ object encapsulation of the parsed
WKT tree.  The code, when it exists, will of course be open source
but not necessarily easily separable for other use.
as i told Yang Liu, the lat/lon is required if you need CF compliance. I agree
they should be
optional for these cases to save bandwidth. A weakness of the WCS is that
theres no real mechanism
to specify variations in how you want the data returned, just the "Format Type".

Ah, if CF requires full double precision lat/lon arrays then I think
the CF convention is perhaps a bit "broken".
While hacky, I imagine having servers offer "netCDF_CF" and
"netCDF" might make sense.  The non-CF version could still offer
most of the CF metadata, but no lat/lon geolocation information.
Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@xxxxxxxxx