Re: GALEON data

Ben,

We've started playing with some NetCDF data on surge/inundation that may also be useful because of its timeseries nature: It qualifies as 5D. We've also got radar data we're working with that might be an interesting test.

gerry

Ben Domenico wrote:
Ben,

Since GALEON is an interoperability experiment, we decided we needed to select a few representative datasets to focus on for the initial experimentation. The ones you listed are those few. They were chosen partly because they have some of the characteristics that stretch the boundaries of the current WCS/GML specifications. Of course there are many other netCDF data collections that we could work with and hopefully we'll be able to get to many of those during the experiment.

To name a couple examples, Rob Raskin will be serving a collection of oceanographic data on the JPL server and the Unidata server has a wide variety of weather forecast model output -- including the output of global models.

I would ask the other participants who are providing datasets on servers to provide lists of the types of data they are serving along with brief descriptions of those collections.

I'll be interested to see if there are collections with time series at individual points. That type of data is often served as "features" via Web Feature Services (WFS). As I noted, our main focus has been on forecast model output (we sometimes call it 5D data) because it is so different from traditional GIS datasets. But the more traditional datasets remain important of course. In fact, some participants argue that the distinction between features and coverages is somewhat artificial in the context of OGC and that a coverage is just a special case of a feature and should be treated as such.

These are some of the issues we are trying to sort out with the experiment, but we decided to start at the far end (5D datasets) of the spectrum.

I hope this helps and also that it spurs others to list and describe additional datasets they are making available.