Re: notes from telecon

Ben asked me to summarize the conversation about GDAL. I will do so in the expectation that Frank will correct/elaborate:

The GDAL library now reads NetCDF files using the CF-1 convention into GDAL's georeferencing data model, and so users of GDAL can now translate NetCDF/CF into GDAL's various outputs. The CF Convention parsing is done "loosely", meaning it doesnt try to do strict CF conformance.

This should allow WCS clients using GDAL (eg CadCORP) to recieve NetCDF files from the WCS server and properly display them, instead of needing to get GeoTIFFS. It should enable WCS servers using GDAL (eg MapServer) to read NetCDF/CF files and serve them over WCS.