Re: [cf-satellite] related to scanning direction

Hi,

I just wanted to add that from the perspective of a satellite data center where
I work, our experience is that the user generally wants to start working with
the data as quickly as possible.  Thus, its best to have an explicit lon/lat
for every pixel in L1/L2 data or a very very simple way to interpolate it.

I think specifying  scanning geometry in CF is overly complex and will be
probably not be used very much (and confuse some folks).  I do agree that these
characteristics must be captured "upstream" in other metadata formats for
data/algorithm provenance purposes.

On Aug 22, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Jim Biard wrote:

Hi.

>From my experience, the algorithms used to determine the ray vector for each
>pixel is quite complicated and different for each satellite.  I doubt there is
>a useful way to encode the necessary information in a standard format.  In
>addition, for LEO satellites (non-geostationary), the TLE is not sufficient
>for the accuracy needed.  I know that is the case for the NPP VIIRS and CrIS
>instruments, and it's also true for the commercial imaging satellites.  You
>need a corrected time series of satellite position, velocity, and attitude
>covering the path over the time the image was acquired.  And you then need a
>significant amount of information about the sensor geometry and position on
>the satellite frame relative to the satellite center of motion.  You may want
>to store all of the needed information in the file, but you won't be using
>generic software to turn it into geolocations.  (Well, you might be able to,
>but that will require developing an abstract sensor model and a set of
>parameters to that model that are sufficient to handle any satellite.  This is
>akin to the issue with geographic coordinate systems.  There are so many
>different ways that these have been defined that there is no single model that
>fully handles every case.)

Grace and peace,

Jim

Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites
Remote Sensing and Applications Division
National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801-5001

jim.biard@xxxxxxxx<mailto:jim.biard@xxxxxxxx>
828-271-4900