[awips2-users] Automatic Clearing of AWIPS II's memory for prolonged use.

We’ve been exploring the [mis]use of AWIPS II as a substitute for NAWIPS in our
department hall display for radar/satellite and obs.

The display is more than satisfactory for several hours especially with the use
of both radar and satellite (as well as watches and warning) on the same
display screen.  But at the end of this grace period we are hitting a memory
“rope limit” that results in a dialog box shown before.

“This CAVE is nearing its maximum memory limit.  Performance may degrade
significantly 50MB available.  Consider closing tabs, clearing panes or
reducing the frame count to free up memory”

(this happens with even modest frame counts).

Can AWIPS automatically clear its cache of by-past images that are outside of
the current data display window?  I presume that this is how NAWIPS did this.

Cheers and Thanks
Bill Capehart <William.Capehart@xxxxxxxxx>   Associate Professor
Atmospheric & Environmental Sciences            Program Director
Civil and Environmental Engineering             Hydrometeorology
201 Mineral Industries Building
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology     Skype: wcapehart
501 East Saint Joseph Street                 Ph: +1-605-394-1994
Rapid City, SD 57701-3995                Mobile: +1-605-484-5692

  • Search the awips2-users archives: