[McIDAS #PWA-370743]: Mcidas--FRMOLAY not returning error code?

Hi Bill,

Long time no hear...

re:
> One of my batch jobs to create a surface synoptic map overlayed over the
> relief maps and the radar data has been giving some problems recently.
> Here's the output of the operative lines:
>
> FRMOLAY NEXRCOMP/1KN0R-NAT UNIT=BRIT
> RAN='3:85,86:96,97:107,108:119,120:130,131:141,142:153,154:164,165:175,1
> 76:187,188:198,199:209,210:221,222:232,233:243,244:255' INT=0 GU=MY16
> GRAPHICS TABLE MY16.GRX HAS BEEN RESTORED
> GU: Done
> Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 14209028
> Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 12457028
> Getting overlay data: rows= 3000
> select timed out
> select timed out
> FRMOLAY: mcalin error for overlay -1           2
> FRMOLAY: DONE
> SFCPLOT PLOT  PTYPE=PMSL GRA=1 NAV=C COLOR=2 2 1 4 5 6 LSIZE=7
> Accessing Dataset Name = RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY.ALL
> SFCPLOT - Done

Hmm...

> I'm initiating this from a cron job .sh file and  using the directive
> ....batch.k RADRR.BAT CONTINUE=NO which seems to halt execution for
> all my other scripts when, perhaps for example, the latest data set has
> not been filed (e.g., wanting 12Z forecast grids when only the 0Z stuff
> is available at 8:30 am CDT).

CONTINUE=NO will only have an effect when the programs being run exit
with a non-zero status.

> For some reason, the above job keep
> going, and rather than a synoptic map overlayed over the radar, I get a
> synoptic map without radar replacing the previous map, which is of
> course being served to students on our web server.

A quick check of ~mcidas/mcidas2006/src/frmolay.pgm shows that it should set
an error condition upon exiting through a call to 'subroutine finish' which,
in turn, makes a call to 'mccodeset'. What I don't see, however, is a call
to 'mccodeset' with a zero value when there is no error.  I don't know if
this lack is important, but it might be.

> I went a bit further (always dangerous for me), and stuck what should be
> a redundant line of code in the batch file (and it doesn't even show up
> on the output)  I stuck in  a
>
> IF ERRORCODE EXIT
>
> No joy, and not even regurgitated for public perusal.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  Instead, there might be a
problem with frmolay.k.

Please do the following:

1) send me a full listing of the BATCH file whose execution is failing

2) try adding the following line to ~mcidas/mcidas2006/src/frmolay.pgm:

at the beginning of execution in frmolay.pgm, change:

C  RCS stuff
      call ddest(RCSID, 0)

to:

C  RCS stuff
      call ddest(RCSID, 0)
      call mccodeset( 0 )

This will insure that the return code will be zero if no errors occur.

After making the change, you will need to build a new frmolay.k executable:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2006/src
-- edit frmolay.pgm as per above
make frmolay.k
rm ~/bin/frmolay.k
ln frmolay.k ~/bin

I don't think that this should have any effect, but it can't hurt.  Sending
me the full listing of your BATCH file might start me on the correct path
for figuring out what is happening.

Ticket ID: PWA-370743
Department: Support McIDAS