AWIPS 18.1.1-5 is a major update to both CAVE and EDEX, including a security update to the latest httpd/mod_wsgi packages.
- EDEX administrators should be aware that localization levels have changed, and Unidata AWIPS no longer supports REGION, DESK, or WORKSTATION levels.
- EDEX administrators should be aware that USER-level localization names have been merged with the WORKSTATION name, that is, what used to be USER awips will now be USER awips@<workstation name>.
- It may be required that EDEX admins migrate saved USER procedures and bundles to the new naming system, which may be tedious, but is necessary for use of CAVE in a classroom and lab setting going forward. This update prevents users from overwriting each other's customizations if they happen to have the same username.
- Reorganized File Menu for saving and loading bundles, procedures, and perspectives.
- D2D default view switched to 5-pane with GOES E/W geostationary views, plus regional and local views.
- New menu items for GOES 17 (GOES West) sectors WCONUS, WFD, WMESO-1, WMESO-2, AKREGI, HIREGI.
- New GOES Geostationary perspective multi-view bundles loaded from the Satellite menu.
WWA (Watch, Warn, Advisory) plugin display updates with phensig color table and full text on sampling. These new bundles are located in the Surface menu, available for flood, wind, marine, as well as All Warnings and Convective Watches.
Fix for the Linux GFE Perspective to sync required files to run gfeConfig correctly (Yes, GFE actually runs again, good luck!)
- Removal of REGION, DESK, and WORKSTATION localization level. Any configuration or setting which used the DESK or WORKSTATION levels will now use SITE instead. This makes for only 3 localization levels to manage in Unidata AWIPS from 18.1.1-5 onward: 1) BASE (default), 2) SITE (e.g. OAX), and 3) USER.
- More efficient thread control for the ingestGrib JVM in
/awips2/edex/etc/ingestGrib.shrather than using definitions in
- Updated the
/etc/init.d/edex_ldmwrapper to allow for the use of
ldmadmin cleanas root.
- Fixed a bug with Python environments when running
edex qpidas root.
pqact.confto include GOES 17 products, as well as a fix to ingest both METOP-A and B ascat files.
RPM package updates for Linux
- awips2-httpd-pypies updated to 2.4.38 (security update)
- mod_wsgi updated to 4.6.5 (security update)
- pyparsing updated to 2.3.1
- pytz updated to 2018.9
- six updated to 1.12.0
- setuptools (ADE) updated to 40.7.3
How to Update/Install 18.1.1-5
- windows https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/awips2/awips-cave.msi
- macOS: https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/awips2/awips-cave.dmg
- linux CAVE:
- yum clean all
- yum groupupdate awips2-cave
- linux EDEX:
- edex stop
- yum groupupdate awips2-server
- edex start
More Info at https://unidata.github.io/awips2/