[noaaport] Numerous NOAAport/SBN outages over the last 3 days

Good afternoon everyone,

I have to admit, I’m really tired today. Whenever NOAAport goes down, my phone blows me out of bed to let me know something is wrong. But on Monday, NOAAport had an outage at 5:30 AM CT. Then another at 8:30 AM, another at 10:45 AM. Each lasted roughly 15 minutes.

Yesterday and today, I was blown out of bed at 6:30 AM CT, and then numerous outages followed. Our EMWIN script kept text on the air during those outages here at the College of DuPage, and then we had several this morning. Finally, NCF had enough.

277

NOUS72 KNCF 161325

ADMNCF

Please pass to the MIC/HIC, SOO, ESA, ITO AND AFP:

SUBJECT: AWIPS Network Interruptions

WHAT: The ANCF has experienced sporadic network

outages across the ANCF/HMGS and CNCF/BMGS

systems. This issue is being investigated.

TICKET NUMBERS: NCO INC0425533/NCF INCA00000374115

NCF

And then a few hours later:

NOUS72 KNCF 161644

ADMNCF

Please pass to the MIC/HIC, SOO, ESA, ITO AND AFP:

On Wednesday, August 16, 2023 the NCF will be

switching its Server Operations from the Primary

AWIPS NCF (ANCF) in College Park, MD to the

Backup AWIPS NCF (CNCF) in Fairmont, WV. The

switch transition will take place as follows:

1715 UTC - ITO switch to CNCF

1715 UTC - REMEDY switch to CNCF

1715 UTC - SBN switch to BMGS

1725 UTC - MHS switch to CNCF

1735 UTC - DSUPS switch to CNCF

1735 UTC - COLLABORATION switch to CNCF

1735 UTC - DATA DELIVERY switch to CNCF

The switch will not be done on a critical weather

day, or if there are other significant operational

issues warranting postponement.

All ANCF message distribution (MHS) will be

repointed to the CNCF. The switch will take about

20 minutes. Data will queue while the switch is in

progress and will be sent once the switch is

complete. This will affect data originating at NWS

field offices and National Centers on the AWIPS

network including radar data.

Any questions or issues should be addressed to the

AWIPS/NCF helpdesk at 888-808-8624.

NCF

I’ve been noticing these outages, and since they switched to the backup link/CNCF, things have been good. Hopefully they can fix whatever is going down. I need the sleep!

Gilbert Sebenste

Meteorology Support Analyst