[NOAAPORT #GGP-872890]: New Noaaport server with ldm

Hi Heather,

re:
> Yes, I did have to re-install the OS.  I am using the latest CentOS-7.

OK, good to know.

re:
> So, my receiver cable is in eno2 (network ethernet in eno1).
> Bad news: tcpdump does not work!  I get this:
>
> [root@npingest network-scripts]# tcpdump  -i eno2
> tcpdump: eno2: No such device exists
> (SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such device)
>
> I get tons of output for eno1.

Please check the list of Ethernet interfaces defined on your system.
The quickest way to do this is:

ip addr

In CentOS/RedHat 6.x, the command to use is 'ifconfig -a'.

If your Ethernet interface is not contained in the 'ip addr' listing,
it is either not known to the system (this would agree with the
'eno2: No such device exists' message you get when trying to run
'tcpdump), or the interface is known by a different name.

re:
> This is my ifcfg for eno2.  It is similar to what I had for my eth1 for my
> old install:
> [ldm@npingest logs]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eno2
> TYPE=Ethernet
> PROXY_METHOD=none
> BROWSER_ONLY=no
> BOOTPROTO=none
> HOTPLUG=no
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=npingest
> IPADDR=192.168.0.10
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> DEFROUTE=yes
> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> IPV6_ADDR_GEN_MODE=stable-privacy
> NAME=eno2
> UUID=9fa8fe67-753a-4600-9f02-b4b7ff95534b
> DEVICE=eno2
> ONBOOT=yes
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=yes

I understand that you have a definition for an 'eno2' interface, but
the output from 'tcpdump -i eno2' suggests that the interface does
not exist.  Figuring this out is where we need to concentrate our
initial efforts.

re:
> Since I am using Centos-7 I had to disable firewalld and enable the iptables
> to add your line:
> -A INPUT -i eno2 -j ACCEPT
>
> I restarted the iptables, but I am getting the same result.  No data coming
> through.

I wasn't trying to suggest that you need to be using iptables.  I was trying to
say that whatever firewall is being used, traffic from the interface you
have your Novra connected to needs to be allowed.  In CentOS/RedHat 6, we
would observe that one would have to explicitly allow traffic from the
Ethernet interface that the Novra is connected to before the packets
could be readable.  'tcpdump' actually looks at the physical device
and reports activity.  It should work even if a firewall blocks the traffic
from becoming available (readable) from applications running in the OS.

re:
> Help!

Again, the first things are to:

- figure out how the interface is named in the OS

- then use 'tcpdump -i <interface>' to verify that the UDP packets
  from the Novra are getting to the interface

- verify that the traffic on the interface is not being blocked by
  a firewall

After all of this is done, we can work on the LDM's NOAAPortingester
utility reading from that interface.

Ticket ID: GGP-872890
Department: Support NOAAPORT