[LDM #MFT-584849]: Errors from noaaportIngester process

Hi Carissa,

Quick note:

) was reviewing exchanges regarding the setting/resetting of values
in /etc/sysctl.conf this morning, and I got very concerned by a
reference to a Unidata web page that is not only WAY out of date,
but has misleading/incorrect information:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/noaaport/current/

As I noted in a reply to the thread that is in our inquiry tracking
system, we set two values in /etc/sysctl.conf on our Linux-based
NOAAport ingest machines:

#
# Enable DVBS reception
#
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 2

#
# DVBS multicast fragment reassembly
#
net.ipv4.ipfrag_max_dist = 0

The other thing is that our NOAAPort ingest code has been bundled with
the LDM for several years now.  The distribution available from:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/noaaport/noaaport-1.7.1.tar.gz

is archaic and should not be used.

I will touch base with Steve and lobby for the old, out of date web
pages removal from our website, and the old distributions of our
NOAAPort ingest package removed from our FTP server.

Many apologies for the misleading/wrong information!

On 02/09/2018 02:42 PM, Carissa Klemmer - NOAA Federal wrote:
> New Client Reply: Errors from noaaportIngester process
>
> Oh my goodness - why didn't we email you folks for help 10 months ago?!?!
> Yes, the bad system is Boulder. Bhagat has gone home for the day, he can
> run the other check Monday, which is also when we will make the
> configuration setting and reboot to see if our problem clears.
>

> Carissa Klemmer
> NCEP Central Operations
> Dataflow Team Lead
> 301-683-3835
>
> address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Carissa,
>>
>> address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Bhagat just ran this for me....does this tell you something? The first
>>> one/green is my happy system, the second one/red is my angry system.
>>>

>> Is the "bad" system in Boulder?
>>

>>> I should also note if it wasn't already we are running ldm-6.12.14.
>>>
>>> [sysadm@vm-lnx-sbn1 ~]$ sudo sysctl -a |grep ipfrag_max_dist
>>> [sudo] password for sysadm:
>>> *net.ipv4.ipfrag_max_dist = 4096*
>>>

>> Good system. Have a cookie.
>>
>> You could also set the value to zero to disable sequence-checking of IP
>> fragments.
>>

>>> [sysadm@vm-bldr-sbn1 ~]$ sudo sysctl -a |grep ipfrag_max_dist
>>> [sudo] password for sysadm:
>>> *net.ipv4.ipfrag_max_dist = 64*
>>>

>> Bad system! No cookie for you!
>>
>> The value should be zero or 4096 or greater. A value of 64 is known to
>> cause reception problems.
>>
>> If this value is changed, then the LDM system will need to be restarted. If
>> the problem persists, then the computer might have to be re-booted.
>>
>> What about the other system parameter, net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Steve Emmerson
>>

>> Ticket Details
>> ===================
>> Ticket ID: MFT-584849
>> Department: Support NOAAPORT
>>

> Ticket Details
> Ticket ID: MFT-584849
> Department: Support NOAAPORT
> Link:
> https://andy.unidata.ucar.edu/esupport/staff/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=viewticket&ticketid=29074

* Tom Yoksas                                      UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                           P.O. Box 3000 *
* address@hidden                                    Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/ *