[netCDF #SHR-833140]: Compile Error

Hello Matthew,

We'll be fixing this ambiguous error in the upcoming release; our apologies!

There are a couple of possibilities.  First, and less likely; it's possible
that the hdf5 library netCDF-C is linked against does not have `szip` support.
If this is the case, you will need to install libhdf5 with szip support, before
reinstalling the C library. After this, the error should resolve itself.

Alternatively, and more likely, the C library was built as a static library,
not a shared library.  In this case, you will need to specify the CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS environmental variables so that the compiler knows how to find and link
against the libnetcdf.a dependencies.  You should be able to do this as
follows, when configuring netCDF-Fortran:

    $ CFLAGS="$(nc-config --cflags)" LDFLAGS="$(nc-config --libs)" ./configure
[any other options you were using]

I hope this helps!

-Ward

> Full Name: Matthew Donn
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: netCDF4
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Hello,
> I get the following error when trying to compile the netCDF fortran library.
>
> "netcdf-c version 4.7.4 or greater is required, built with underlying szip
> support"
>
> I downloaded the netCDF4 v4.9.2 binary and the latest fortran code so I don't
> know why I am getting the error.

Ticket ID: SHR-833140
Department: Support netCDF
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.