[netCDF #NCE-670062]: How to produce NcML from a netCDF-4 file

There is currently no way to do this for netcdf-4 files.
It is doable but would take some time.
Your comment about faking classic makes me think that you
are not using a lot of  the netcdf-4 data model.
Can you describe which netcdf-4 features you are using?

> Hardware:
> Description of problem: I work on a NOAA project, CLASS, and our software
> depends on being able to run ncdump -x to obtain NcML metadata representation
> for a GOES-R file, which is reported as netCDF-4 by ncdump -k.
>
> We are upgrading to a more recent version of netCDF and have found that the
> -x option is only supported for the classic model.  I understand we might be
> able to circumvent the problem by changing an attribute in the file to make
> it appear classic, but we would like to avoid manipulating or copying files.
>
> Is there a command line utility or an API call that would allow us to
> generate NcML from a netCDF-4 file?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Anatoli

=Dennis Heimbigner