[netCDF #FQF-896806]: request for help in building netcdf

Hi Devaraju,

> I am trying to build netCDF on AIX Regatta Machine with xlf compiler. But it
> is failing at make.
>
> I have used the following command to configure
>
> export CC=xlc
> export CXX=xlC
> ./configure --prefix=/home/caos2/casgbala/dev/netcdf362

You should also use

  export FC=xlf90

if you want the Fortran-90 netCDF interface.  If not, you should use

  export FC=''

or --disable-fortran as a configure flag.

Also, that's a 2007 version of netCDF.  If you have more problems, you
might have better luck with version 4.1.1, available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.gz

and specifying --disable-netcdf-4 during the configure step, if you
don't want or need any of the netCDF-4 features.  You could also
specify --disable-dap if you also don't want tthe ability to access
remote files through the OPeNDAP DAP protocols.  Then you would have
just a basic netCDF-3 installation with various bugs fixed since
version 3.6.2.

You might also check your version of libtool.  I think recent versions
of libtool know xlf90 is a Fortran compiler, but versions before 2.0
may not handle xlf90 correctly.

--Russ

Ticket ID: FQF-896806
Department: Support netCDF