[netCDF #WTM-237180]: Re: [netcdfgroup] please try out the netcdf daily snapshot for opendap, hdf4-reading, hdf5-reading, szip compression, etc.

"Orion Poplawski" <address@hidden> writes:

> New Client Reply: Re: [netcdfgroup] please try out the netcdf daily snapshot
> for opendap, hdf4-reading, hdf5-reading, szip compression, etc.
>
> On 1/9/2010 7:09 AM, Unidata netCDF Support wrote:
>> Howdy Orion,
>>
>> What is the deal with this patch?
>>
>> It seems to want to use pkg-config to tell us about installed
>> libraries. Does this work on all platforms? Or just Linux?
>>
>> Is there a reason that pkg-config is better than what we have here?
>>

> It should work on any platform with pkg-config.  Don't know how popular
> it is outside of Linux.  It supports multilib installs (32/64 bit) by
> avoiding hard coded paths to /usr/lib vs /usr/lib64 in the script.
>
> Not a big deal for me to keep this patch in the Fedora package, but
> figured I'd pass it on up.
>
> - Orioin

Well I am motivated to support your patches, if it makes it easier for
netCDF to go into the fedore repositories.

Can you tell me how this works? You take my release, apply any patches
that you need (based on past release), and then you produce an rpm file?
Is that correct?

Where does that rpm file go from there?

Clearly this takes you some time and effort. How soon after a release do
you do this?

Can non-Fedora systems use this rpm to install netCDF?

Are you building netCDF with the full set of features? (That is, opendap
and netCDF-4?)

Should we, with your assistance, make any other modifications in our
process to better support this? Can we make better use of the resulting
build files?

As you see I have a lot of questions! ;-)

If you can change the patch to find out in configure.ac whether
pkg-config is available, and only change it when it is, then I would be
happy to apply this patch to make your repository generation easier. You
are performing a tremendous service to the netCDF community and to me
personally (since I have to support installs too!)

Thanks,

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden