[netCDF #YDV-418475]: Bug in netcdf.h in 4.0.1 with respect to MPI usage together with C/C++

Hi Luis,

> there is a very subtle bug in netcdf 4.0.1.  In netcdf.h the following
> mpi entities are defined
>
> /* These defs added by netCDF configure because parallel HDF5 is not
> present. */
> #define MPI_Comm int
> #define MPI_Info int
> #define MPI_COMM_WORLD 0
> #define MPI_INFO_NULL 0
>
> in case mpi.h is included before netcdf.h this defines (may) break the
> MPI implementation.
>
> I think that is a serious design problem and things like this should
> definitely be avoided.
>
> It would be nice to include this problem in the "Know problems" section.

I have entered your report in the "known problems" document at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/known_problems.html

Thanks for reporting this!  It would be a difficult problem to diagnose.
I will try to make sure it's fixed before the 4.1 release.

--Russ

Ticket ID: YDV-418475
Department: Support netCDF