[netCDF #FCF-498312]: ncdiff problem

Hi Yonghui,

> It's Yonghui from Univ of Maryland. I met the problem of get the
> difference of Posterior_Diag.nc to Prior_Diag.nc, both obtained from
> NCAR DART/WRF assimilation system. When I input ncdiff
> Posterior_Diag.nc Prior_Diag.nc ncdiff it outputs:
>
> nco_err_exit(): ERROR Short NCO-generated message (usually name of
> function that triggered error): nco_enddef()
> nco_err_exit(): ERROR Error code is -62. Translation into English with
> nc_strerror(-62) is "NetCDF: One or more variable sizes violate format
> constraints"
> nco_err_exit(): ERROR NCO will now exit with system call exit(EXIT_FAILURE)
>
> It maybe caused by the file sizes
> -rw-r--r-- 1 why meto 9888129164 2009-11-12 20:16 Posterior_Diag.nc
> -rw-r--r-- 1 why meto 9888129160 2009-11-12 19:33 Prior_Diag.nc
>
> How can I solve the problem?
>
> The system I used Linux cluster x86_64

ncdiff is part of the NCO package, which we don't develop or maintain at
Unidata, it is instead maintained on sourceforge.  You can get support
for NCO questions by asking on the NCO help site:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/nco/forums/forum/9830

The error message from netCDF is further explained here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#Large%20File%20Support12

which includes this:

  If you get the netCDF library error "One or more variable sizes
  violate format constraints", you are trying to define a variable
  larger than permitted for the file format variant. This error
  typically occurs when leaving "define mode" rather than when
  defining a variable. The error status cannot be returned when a
  variable is first defined, because the last fixed-size variable
  defined is permitted to be larger than other fixed-size variables
  (when there are no record variables).

  Similarly, the last record variable may be larger than other record
  variables. This means that subsequently adding a small variable to
  an existing file may be invalid, because it makes what was
  previously the last variable now in violation of the format size
  constraints. For details on the format size constraints, see the
  Users Guide sections NetCDF Classic Format Limitations and NetCDF
  64-bit Offset Format Limitations.

I hope this helps.

--Russ

Ticket ID: FCF-498312