[netCDF #ZQX-779445]: netcdf-4 won't build under Mac OS 10.6.1

> I have three Mac Pros, one with OS 10.5.8 and two with OS 10.6.1.  I
> have installed netcdf-4.0 under 10.5.8, but am unable to build
> netcdf-4.0 or 4.0.1 under 10.6.1.  Executing ./configure generates the
> message:
>
> error: Could not link conftestf.o and conftest.o
>
> I've attached the corresponding conf.log file.

Look in the config.log file and you will see the problem:

configure:24257: ifort -g -c conftestf.f
configure:24260: $? = 0
configure:24263: ifort -o conftest -g  conftestf.o conftest.o
ipo: warning #11009: file format not recognized for conftest.o
ld: warning: in conftest.o, file is not of required architecture

You are using gcc for your C compiler, which defaults to a 64-bit architecture,
and ifort for your fortran compiler, which defaults to 32-it.

Set CFLAGS to -m32 to cause gcc to build in 32-bit mode, and try again, or else
look in the ifort docs to learn what flags to set to get it to build in 64-it
mode.

Don't forget to do a make distcheck and rerun configure when trying to build
netCDF again.

Good luck,

Ed

Ticket ID: ZQX-779445