[netCDF #ZQY-437992]: netCDF on Windows

Hi Steven,

> I would like to install and run NetCDF on a Windows computer. I have
> been reading your tutorials and FAQs in order to gain an understanding
> on how to run NetCDF.
>
> I note the following information on your website.
>
> On windows, NetCDF consists of a DLL and the ncgen/ncdump executables.
> The easiest course is to download one of the pre-built DLLs and
> utilities and just install them on your system.

The most up-to-date information currently about netCDF installation on
Windows is in the FAQ document:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4

which you have quoted from above.  Which netCDF DLL to get depends on
which Fortran compiler you have.  For Intel and Portland Group Fortran
compilers, you would need

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/win32_vs_PGI_dll_4.0.1.zip

and for other Fortran compilers you should get

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/win32_vs_f2c_dll_4.0.1.zip

Note that you will also need the other 3 DLLs mentioned in the respnse
to that FAQ, for zlib, szlib, and HDF5.

There's also an older prebuilt netCDF DLL for version 3.6.1 here:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.6.1-beta1-win32dll.zip

but I'm not sure how well it works on newer Windows platforms.

We plan to release updated Windows DLLs shortly after version 4.1 is
released, which we hope is this month.

> I am wondering which pre build Dll this is referring to? Is it
> 5-181-win-vs2005.zip, szip21-vs6-enc.zip or zlib123-vs2005.zip? If not
> then where is the pre-built DLL that I can run?
>
> Is there an excecutable file I can download, install and run? I would
> like to run the pogram on my machine if possible in order to analyse
> data.

NetCDF is not a program, but a library used by other visualization and
analysis programs for accessing data.  Some Windows visualization
and analysis programs have built-in netCDF support.  For examples, see
the entries in the "Software for Manipulating or Displaying NetCDF
Data" web page that mention Windows, for example NetCDF for Excel, HDF
Explorer, Intel Array Viewer, Mirone, ncBrowse, NCL, ncvtk, OpenDX,
Paraview, WebWinds, ViewNcDap, ESRI ArcGIS, LeoNetCDF, Noesys,
Plot-Plus, Slicer Dicer, or vGeo.

--Russ

Ticket ID: ZQY-437992
Department: Support netCDF