[netCDF #KGK-664447]: Compiling Fortran90 code with netcdf

> Full Name: jahanzeb malik
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System: Windows Vista Enterprise (32 bit)
> Hardware: Intel(R) core(R) 2 duo T9400
> Description of problem: Dear Unidata
>
> I will be grateful to you if you please guide on how can I compile and
> run successfully the sample fortran 90 programs that are available on
> the link
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/examples/programs/).
>
> I am using Compaq Visual Fortran Professional edition 6.6.0.
>
> I have also downloaded binary files of NetCDF from the link
> (ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.6.1-beta1-win32dll.zip).
> I have copied extracted dll and exe files to my system 32 folder.
>
> Now when I compiled available program simple_xy_wr.f90, it gives me
> error. This error says
>
> "D:\PhD\RunningModels\learningFortran\TestFortran\test\test\test.f90(19)
> : Error: This is not a DEC Fortran module file.   [NETCDF]"
>
> Please help me in solving this issue.
>
> Thanks and Kind regards.

We have never supported the netCDF f90 API on a windows specific platform.
Previous (and current) windows support for fortran is limited to the netCDF F77
API.

We also no longer support Compaq fortran directly.

The difficulty is that each windows fortran compiler demands its own build
settings and system, and we don't have the people to support this.

NetCDF (including the F90 API) builds and works well under Cygwin, a free Linux
port that will run on your windows machine and provide a POSIX API for netCDF.
There is an F90 compiler in cygwin as well, the gfortran compiler. (One could
also build the g95 compiler.)

If you must stick with a windows environment, and the Compaq fortran compiler,
then look in their documentation for ways to access functions in a DLL. The
functions you want start with "nf_".

Good luck,

Ed

Ticket ID: KGK-664447