[Support #JPR-616713]: Large NetCDF files and IDL 7.1 ????

Hi Julio,

> I would like create some large netcdf files (probably in the 5-10 GB
> range) using IDL, but I find that the version of netCDF supported in IDL
> 7.1 does not allow this.  I've looked online and have found some
> discussion of this issue implying there may a patch for IDL 7.1 to allow
> work with large netCDF files.
>
> Is this true? If so how do I get this patch?

Sorry, but we don't know if there is such a patch or if so, how to get it.
I suggest asking IDL support if such a patch exists.

You may be thinking that netCDF-4 support (supposed to be in IDL version 7.2)
is needed to create 5-10GB netCDF files, but it may be possible to create
such large netCDF files using netCDF-3 in the current IDL.  For details, see
the answers to these FAQs:

  How can I write variables larger than 4 GiB?
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#Large%20File%20Support11_5

and

  Was it possible to create netCDF files larger than 2 GiBytes before version
3.6?
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#lfs

--Russ

Ticket ID: JPR-616713