[netCDF #ASW-719077]: installation of NetCDF

Carles,

> thanks a lot for prompt reply. The files conftest.o and conftestf.o
> are not found in the installation directory (/Applications/
> netcdf-4.0.1), there are only the files:
>
> COPYRIGHT README aclocal.m4 config.log cxx f90 libsrc man4
> nc_test4 ncgen nf_test
> INSTALL RELEASE_NOTES compile config.sub cxx4 fortran libsrc4
> missing ncdap.m4 ncgen4 win32
> Makefile.am VERSION config.guess configure depcomp install-sh
> ltmain.sh nc-config.in ncdap_test nctest
> Makefile.in acinclude.m4 config.h.in configure.ac examples libncdap3
> m4 nc_test ncdump netcdf.pc.in
>

> I checked they are not in any of the subdirectories, should I look for
> these files maybe in other places?

Oops, sorry, it turns out that the configure script cleans up any
left over files it created when it exits, even if there was an error.
I've just duplicated that problem here and found a way around it, but
it's a little tricky.

You will have to edit the "configure" script and comment out one line,
to prevent it from deleting the conftest.o and conftestf.o files when
it cleans things up on exit.

Use a text editor on the "configure" file, which is very long (over
34000 lines), and look for the following line, which should occur
around line 2026, if you are using the configure from netCDF version
3.6.3:

    rm -f -r conftest* confdefs* conf$$* $ac_clean_files &&

Comment out this line by inserting a "#" character at its begiining,
so the resuliting line will look like:

#    rm -f -r conftest* confdefs* conf$$* $ac_clean_files &&

Save the modified file and run it again.  It should still stop with
the error message

  configure: error: Could not link conftestf.o and conftest.o

but now those files will not be removed, so you can run the command

  file conftest.o conftestf.o

The output from this command should tell us why those two object files
created by the C compiler and Fortran compiler are not compatible, so
please send that output.

--Russ

Ticket ID: ASW-719077
Department: Support netCDF