[netCDF #OMZ-758902]: NETCDF 4 make check fails with gfortran

Hi,

> I am trying to compile netcdf 4 in my mac book OS x 10.5.7 with
> following env variables
>
> export F77=gfortran
> export F90=gfortran
> export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
> export CXX=/usr/bin/c++
> export CPP='/usr/bin/cpp -C -P -xassembler-with-cpp -traditional'
> export FFLAGS='-g -O2 -ffixed-form -fno-underscoring -m64'
> export FCFLAGS='-g -O2 -m64'
> export F90FLAGS='-g -O2 -ffree-form -fno-underscoring -m64'
> export FCFLAGS_f90='-g -O2 -m64'
> export CFLAGS='-m64 -O3 -DMACOS -fno-common'
> export CXXFLAGS='-m64 -O3 -DMACOS -fno-common'
> export CPPFLAGS='-Df2cFortran -DNDEBUG'
> export LIBS='-lSystemStubs'
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gfort/netcdf

It's possible that the C compiler you are using from /usr/bin/gcc is
not compatible with the gfortran you are using, because gfortran is
not available from Apple, but /usr/bin/gcc, is from the Apple XCode
developer tools, but you may have gotten gfortran from the fink
software packaging system.  I believe that gfortran requires at least
gcc 4.3, so if your version of gcc is earlier than this, it may not
work with gfortran.

You can get a binary of netcdf with gfortran support from the fink
package management system, as described here in the comment from Roy:

  http://www.macresearch.org/how-install-netcdf-gfortran-libraries

and the fink system will make sure you have a compatible gcc
installed.  You can also get gfortran and a matching gcc 4.3 version
doirectly from macreasearch:

  http://www.macresearch.org/gfortran-leopard

There's a bit more information here:

  http://www.macresearch.org/netcdf-gfortran

If the links above still don't help, I recommend posting your question
to the address@hidden mailing list.  I think there are
users on that list who have compiled with gfortran on Mac laptops ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: OMZ-758902
Department: Support netCDF