[netCDF #FRL-611318]: Building/Installing netCFD

Jaafar,

> I have two questions:
>
> Can I upgrade netCFD 3.6.3 with version 4.0 without removing the old
> version (ver 3.6.3)? If yes how can I do it?

You can install version 4.0 in a directory different from where you
installed netCDF 3.6.3, so that gives you access to both versions.
This is similar to having a 32-bit version of a library and a 64-bit
version both available, but installed in different directories.

But you may not need two separate libraries, because version 4.0 can
read and write files in the same format as version 3.6,3, and version
4.0 includes all the same function calls as version 3.6.3 as well as
other function calls for the features added with version 4.  So any
program that works with version 3.6.3 should work the same way when
recompiled and relinked with the version 4.0 include files and
library.

> BY the way I need to do so because I am planning to install and use
> MATLAB Ver 7.8 and I understand that I should install netCDF ver 4. or
> I use built in netCDF which is not clear for me and I need your advice
> in this regard

I expect that when MATLAB 7.8 is released with netCDF-4 support, the
netCDF-4 library will be included, but I'm not sure about that.

--Russ

Ticket ID: FRL-611318
Department: Support netCDF