[netCDF #BFT-838875]: netcdf file conversion query

Hi Jonathan,

> If you do not deal with this type of query, could be please forward this
> to someone who may know.
>
> I have a question abouit file format conversion.
>
> I have a set of data files. They are .txt files. I am using Fortran 90. I
> saw it is possible to convert cdl file into netcdf .nc files using the ncgen
> command.
>
> Is it possible to convert a .txt file to a .cdl file? Is there a special
> command? Or do we need to write a script to do this.

There is no general-purpose program or command to convert data in a .txt
file to CDL, becasue of the great variety of ways to represent data in
a .txt file.  In general, you need a program or script to do this.

> If a script is required, could you give me an outline of the steps that
> would need to be taken, mentioning the various commands that would need ton
> be used.

How you do this depends on whether your data is multidimensional, how
much metadata you want to include, whether you want to include a
coordinate system, what netCDF conventions you choose to follow (for
example CF Conventions), etc.

It might be easier to get your data into a form with comma-separated
values, because that's what CDL uses.

--Russ

Ticket ID: BFT-838875
Department: Support netCDF