[netCDF #CWN-662716]: [netcdf-hdf] return code of -60

Hi Marston,

> I'm trying to write a very large NETCDF file within the C code.
> I interpret the manual that I can write a 2D array to the NETCDF and
> I'm attempting to do so using the nc_put_vars_type() function.
> I came across an error that has left me scratching my head:
>
> The function above returned a status code of -60 which is not
> accounted for in the NETCDF error handling script.

That error code in the netCDF library is associated with the error message
"Math result not representable".  That could occur if you are trying to
write a data value that can't be converted to the netCDF type of the
variable you are trying to write to.  For example, if you are trying to
write a large integer to a 16-bit nc_short type or a double precision
value with a larger exponent than will fit in an IEEE float to a nc_float
type on disk.  When converting numeric types, the convertability of every
value is checked, so you could get this error even if only one value in
the array you are trying to write is not representable in the target type.

By the way, this probably has nothing to do with HDF, since the same
error code was used in netCDF-3, so any discussion of this should probably
continue in the address@hidden email list.

--Russ

Ticket ID: CWN-662716
Department: Support netCDF