[netCDF #EEV-727668]: NETCDF problem = help requested!

Hi Amita,

> I am creating netcdf data files using IDL. Every once in a while I have
> problem with switching modes (from definition to data.  For example,
> after defining dimensions and variable when I use
>
> ncdf_control,id,/ENDEF, I get the following error:
>
> NCDF_CONTROL: Attempt to take the file out of define mode (ENDEF) failed.
> (NC_ERROR=-45)

We don't provide support for the IDL interface, but NCDF_CONTROL
is evidently calling the netCDF function nc_enddef, and the
documentation for that function

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-c.html#nc_005fenddef

says it can return an error for several reasons, including:

    * The specified netCDF dataset is not in define mode.
    * The specified netCDF ID does not refer to an open netCDF dataset.
    * The size of one or more variables exceed the size constraints for
whichever variant of the file format is in use). See Large File Support.

The netCDF error -45 corresponds to the error "Not a netcdf data
type", which may mean you are trying to create a variable or
attribute using a type code that doesn't correspond to one of
the five numeric types or one character type that netCDF-3 permits.

--Russ

Ticket ID: EEV-727668
Department: Support netCDF