[netCDF #ONL-521527]: INSTALLATION HELP

> Sir In WRF model I want to choose option DMPAR, for this netcdf-3.6.2
> is right or wrong?

It's right.  That version works OK with WRF using DMPAR option.  DMPAR
specifies that the WRF model is run in parallel, but the I/O is still
serial, so you don't need (and WRF can't yet use, as far as I know)
parallel netCDF I/O.

More recent versions of netCDF software will also work fine with WRF
DMPAR option, including 3.6.3, 4.0, and 4.0.1.  When you build the
software from version 4.0 or 4.0.1, just don't specifdy --enable-netcdf-4
and it will only build the netCDF-3 version, which works fine with WRF and
doesn't require HDF5.

> ... I tried with netcdf-3.6.2 first but i am getting
> error in netcdf-3.6.2 installtion which i am attaching with this
> file.its config.log file is config-netcdf-3.6.2.log.doc.

The error the config-netcdf-3.6.2.log file shows is

  PGFTN-S-0011-Unrecognized command line switch: -underscore
  PGFTN/x86-64 Linux/x86-64 6.0-5: compilation completed with severe errors

which comes from your including "-Munderscore" in the FFLAGS and
F90FLAGS environment variables in your .bashrc_an file:

  export FFLAGS="-fpic -fast -Mlarge_arrays -w -O2 -i8 -Mmpi -Mnoframe
-Munderscore -mcmodel=medium"

  export F90FLAGS="-fpic -fastsse  -Mlarge_arrays -w -O2 -i8 -Mmpi -Mnoframe
-Munderscore -mcmodel=medium"

There is no such option for the pgf77 or pgf90 compilers, so perhaps you
meant "-Munderscoring".  Are you sure you need this option?  We have output
from a successful build of netCDF-3.6.3 using F77=pgf95 and FC=pgf95 that
didn't require any settings for F90FLAGS or FFLAGS:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/builds/3_6_3/index.jsp

and similarly for netCDF-4.0 and netCDF-4.0.1:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/builds/4_0/index.jsp
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/builds/4_0_1/index.jsp

> sir,I have
> tried to install netcdf-4 also in this some problems are like this: I
> have installed mpich2-1.0.8p1 after it when i installed netcdf-4 i got
> error.In netcdf-4 installation first i installed zlib-1.2.3 its
> install.log file i am sending you.

If you build from the netCDF-4.0 or netCDF-4.0.1 distribution without
the --enable-netcdf-4 option to configure, you do not need zlib or HDF5.

> ... After i install Hdf5-1.8.1 but still
> I am getting same error for this issue i am attaching its config.log
> file and my bashrc file also. Tell me where i am wrong.I want
> distributed memory option in WRF so i need to install netcdf-4 .Is
> enable-parallel option is necessary for hdf5-1.8.1 for distributed
> memeory option.?

No, I don't believe it is necessary to install hdf5-1.8.1 for the
distributed memory option of WRF (dmpar).  As far as I know, WRF
with the dmpar option does not use parallel I/O, just parallel
computation.  WRF with the dmpar option can be built fine with
netCDF-3.6.2, netCDF-3.6.3, netCDF-4.0, or netCDF-4.0.1.  If you
use netCDF-4.0 or netCDF-4.0.1, make sure you do not use the
--enable-netcdf-4 option to the configure script.

--Russ

Ticket ID: ONL-521527
Department: Support netCDF