[netCDF #VQF-302876]: Unsuccessful make check on OSX undefined functions

> Dear Russ,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I solved the problem - what was happening is that the file fort-nc4.c
> was not being compiled because I did not specify --with-hdf5= on the
> configure line. I could still successfully configure using --with-
> netcdf-4, because my HDF5 libraries are in a standard path searched by
> the linker (/usr/local).
>
> Looking closely at Makefile.am in /fortran I realized that when  --
> with-hdf5= is not set, then the automake generated Makefile does not
> include instructions to compile fort-nc4.c. Thus, the Fortran-to-C
> translations for these functions were not being made, resulting in the
> undefined symbols.
>
> Conclusion - in order to use --with-netcdf-4 in ./configure, one also
> must have to specify --with-hdf5= in order for the build to proceed
> properly.
>
> I hope I am making sense.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Cheers, Jed

Howdy Jed!

Thanks for pointing this out. I don't know how I made such a silly mistake! I
have fixed this in the code base, which means it will be fixed in tomorrow's
daily snapshot release. You should not have to use --with-hdf5 if HDF5 is in
your system directories, so this was a bug.

Thanks again!

Ed

Ticket ID: VQF-302876
Department: Support netCDF