[netCDF #HPS-623090]: Re: [netcdfgroup] files with compound types not portable?

Hi Jeff,

We actually think we've figured out the problem and we're testing a
fix this afternoon.  If our diagnosis is correct, everything is
written OK, it's only that the structure offsets that ncdump uses
when reading are off.  This only occurs in generic programs such as
ncdump, which don't have a native structure into which to read the
compound value.  But the fix would be in the netCDF-4 library to make
sure the member offsets are properly adjusted before returning from
the nc_inq_compound_field() function that ncdump relies on to figure
out where in the void* data it has read it finds the member values.

We were able to create test files for this problem with ncgen4 from
your CDL and reproduce the problem.

Thanks again for reporting this.  It's a significant error that our
testing doesn't reveal, because we don't do much cross platform
testing, but we will add this test and others that catch these sorts
of problems.

We'll let you know when a release is available with a fix, and after
you've verified it fixes the problem to your satisfaction, we'll post
a note to the netcdfgroup mailing list.

--Russ

Ticket ID: HPS-623090
Department: Support netCDF