[netCDF #MSV-188900]: C++ API for NETCDF version 4.0

Lynton,

> On the subject of Arrays containers, I have been using blitz (see
> http://www.oonumerics.org/blitz/ ). This is not a C++ STL.
> The problem with STL is that there is as I understand it no efficient
> multidimensional array container. For me Blitz appears to be very good.
> Do you have any oppinions on the subject?

It looks very useful, and the open source license it uses is compatible with
our license.  I am in favor of using Blitz if it's stable and we could just
copy and include the code with our distribution (which the license allows).
However, making the netCDF C++ API depend on first getting and installing
Blitz would be an impediment to the installation of netCDF, which already
requires zlib and HDF5, so I would rather not add another dependency.

> Incidentally, whilst browing the blitz archive support I came upon the
> following correspondence entitled:
> "Combining NetCDF reading/writing with blitz arrays"

Very interesting, though I don't know enough to have an answer for the
question.
Anyway, thanks for pointing out Blitz.

Incidentally, I'd be happy to delete anyone from the Cc: list who's not
interested in further discussion on a netCDF-4 C++ API.  Just let me know.

--Russ

Ticket ID: MSV-188900
Department: Support netCDF