[netCDF #FCG-620617]: netcdf installation issue

Hi Erik,

> I am having a bit of an issue installing netcdf and am not sure what
> is wrong.  I've already installed hdf5 and zlib, but for some reason
> netcdf is not going smoothly.  I've attached what I think you would
> like to see.  I really appreciate any type of help as I really have
> done nothing like this before.  If you need any other information,
> just let me know.  Thanks!

First, I should point out that since you gave no arguments to the
configure script, it will use all the defaults.  In particular, it
will only build netCDF-3, because you did not specify the configure
option --enable-netcdf-4.  That's fine if you don't need any of the
new netCDF-4 features, such as compression or features of the enhanced
netCDF-4 data model, such as Groups or compound types.  If you are
only using netCDF to access existing netCDF data, almost all of which
is currently netCDF-3 data, then you don't need netCDF-4 yet (and you
also don't need HDF5 or zlib, which are only required for netCDF-4).

The particular problem you are seeing

  /bin/sh: line 8: ./compare_test_files.sh: Permission denied
  FAIL: compare_test_files.sh

is peculiar, because the script nctest/compare_test_files.sh is only
one line, and also has executable permissions:

  $ ls -l nctest/compare_test_files.sh
  -rwxr-xr-x   1 russ     ustaff       118 Nov  6  2005 compare_test_files.sh*

That script is just invoking the Unix "cmp" command on files resulting
from running "make check" in the nctest directory:

  cmp nctest_classic.nc $srcdir/ref_nctest_classic.nc && cmp
  nctest_64bit_offset.nc $srcdir/ref_nctest_64bit_offset.nc

Could you check that the file nctest/compare_test_files.sh in your
distribution corresponds to the above (from the netCDF-4.0 release)?

Also, make sure you don't have your own "cmp" command installed
somewhere earlier in your PATH than the Unix "cmp" command for
comparing two binary files.  Depending on what interactive shell you
are using, you can do this with

  $ which cmp

or

  $ type cmp

and if you get anything other than /usr/bin/cmp, then the problem is
that your cmp is hiding the system cmp.

--Russ

Ticket ID: FCG-620617
Department: Support netCDF