[netCDF #SKD-481794]: Trying to build netcdf with Absoft 10.1 compiler

Don,

I see from the configure output that you did not specify the
"--enable-netcdf-4" option, which
means the default netCDF-3 software will be built.  This is still the
appropriate choice for
most users, because the great majority of data in archives and still being
produced is written
through the simpler netCDF-3 interface to "classic netCDF" files.  NetCDF-4 has
an advanced
data model and some high-performance features like parallel I/O, but I assume
netCDF-3 is
the version you want (because you originally mentioned trying to build version
3.6.2).  The only
reason I mention this is becasue you are trying to compile an example,
nc4_pres_temp4D_wr.f90,
that uses netCDF-4 features.  That will not work with a netCDF-3 library.  But
you should be
able to compile and run examples such as pres_temp_4D_wr.f90 and other netCDF-3
examples
found on the Example netCDF programs page:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/examples/programs/

If the tests run by "make check" all pass, then these example programs have
already been compiled
and run as part of the tests.  You can see the examples in the examples/F90/
directory in which
you built the software, and you should be able to run "make clean check" in the
example/ directory
to see how the programs were compiled and linked during testing.

However, during testing the "libtool" tool is used to assist in compiling and
linking, and it's more
complex than is needed for simple use of compilers to build applications.  But
its use can provide
examples of the -L and -l library arguments used in linking.

It looks like the Absoft f90 compiler requires a lot of library arguments to
link, after the
netCDF library arguments:

  -L/Applications/Absoft10.1/lib -laf90math -lafio -lamisc -labsoftmain
  -laf77math -lm -lmv

The output you sent makes it look as if you left out at least the -lafio
argument.  Perhaps the
compiler came with some scripts to run to set up environment variables and make
it easier to
compile simple programs with all the library paths and libraries that are
needed included by
the scripts?

Looking more closely at the make output you attached, it doesn't look as if you
ran "make check",
as the output only seems to be a result of running "make all" or just "make".
The nm output you
appears OK, but the undefined symbols you are getting are not from the netCDF
library, they are
Fortran run-time support functions to do basic read, open, and close
operations, and are
probably in the Absoft afio library.

My advice would be to check the Absoft documentation for configuration or
scripts to run to
provide simpler compiling and linking that automatically gets the run-time
libraries linked in.
Unfortunately since I don't have an Absoft compiler, I can't offer much more
help with this ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: SKD-481794
Department: Support netCDF