[netCDF #KRD-878925]: Building netcdf on 64 bit Linux machine

> I am trying to build netcdf 3.6.3 on CentOS release 5.2 64 bit machine.
> I get the following error when linking against the newly built netcdf
> library.
>
> /usr/bin/ld: /opt/lib64/libnetcdf.a(attr.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
> against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
> /opt/lib64/libnetcdf.a(attr.o): could not read symbols: Bad value
>
> The netcdf build goes just fine, and all tests are successful. I don't
> see any notes specific to building on 64 bit machines except "Some
> platforms support special options to build in 64-bit mode. " But Linux
> is not listed, only AIX, IRIX, and SUNOS.
>
> I am using gcc/g++ version 4.1.2
>
> Any compile flags I should be using?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick West
> Tetherless World Constellation
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Howdy Patrick!

This is not a 64-bit problem, but a shared library problem.

Sounds like your application wants to link against a shared library. By
default, only static netCDF libraries are build.

Rebuild netCDF with the --enable-shared configure option.

Please let me know if this doesn't help.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: KRD-878925
Department: Support netCDF