[netCDF #VVG-400588]: netcdf versions?

> I'm developing in C# and have a wrapper for the win32 netcdf.dll that
> I'm pretty happy with. The netcdf.dll we have is dated 3/7/2006 and the
> zip file I downloaded is named "netcdf-3.6.1-win32.zip". So I imagine
> the version I have is 3.6.1.
>
> One sample application I have reports the CDL information of a file. It
> iterates through dimensions, attributes and variables. The codeplex
> project has a Visual Basic .Net wrapper and my results match what that
> produces.
>
> Here's my issue. We have a large netcdf file. My sample application (as
> well as the VB.Net one from codeplex) finds 2 variables.
>
> I found a utility named panoply that will display cdl information and
> it reports 7 variables. The two I find are the first two panoply
> reports. If I try to inquire using a variable id beyond 1 it cannot
> find it. If I try to inquire using one of the names that panoply shows
> for the other 5, I get an error.
>
> Can you think of a plausible reason for why the netcdf.dll I have
> cannot find all of the variables? Is it a version possibly?
>
> There is an attribute in the file that says it is IOAPI version 3.0, if
> that means anything.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Steve Gomori
>
> Principal Research Scientist
> Statistics and Information Analysis
> Battelle Memorial Institute
> (614) 424-6127

Well that is a real stumper! I have never heard of this particular symptom
before.

Can I suggest a tie-breaker? Do you have ncdump installed anywhere? It's the
utility that comes with netCDF, and will give a CDL dump of the file. Since
it's part of the netCDF distribution, I trust it. ;-)

If you don't have it anywhere, and your file is small, you can just send me the
file.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: VVG-400588