[netCDF #EPB-692876]: Help with Netcdf4.0 build error

Hi Barry,

> This is how I configured HDF5
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/hdf5 --enable-hl --enable-fortran
-enable-shared

Did you really use "-enable-shared" rather than "--enable-shared"?
If so, that could be the problem.

Also in your netCDF-4 configure invocation:

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf4.0 --enable-shared CFLAGS=-g
FCFLAGS=-g FFLAGS=-g CPPFLAGS=-
> Df2cFortran FC=gfortran F77=gfortran F90=gfortran --enable-large-file-tests
--with-temp-
> large=/users/bcubed/tmp --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=/usr/local/netcdf4

you are mixing environment variable settings in with the configure arguments,
but
the order of these is significant.  For example, in the above, CFLAGS is not
set to "-g"
until after the "--enable-shared" argument is parsed and handled.  Try setting
all
you environment variables before the "./configure" command instead.

Also make sure you run "make distclean" before rerunning the configure script.

If that doesn't work, my only suggestion would be to try without
--enable-shared.

--Russ

I don't think you can just mix the environment variable settings in with the
configure arguments,
the environment variables should be set first.  This may not matter, but in the
order you have
specified, the environment variable CFLAGS is not set to "-g" until after the
"--enable-shared"
option is parsed and handled, which is not what the configure script expects.

Ticket ID: EPB-692876
Department: Support netCDF