[netCDF #GVV-239750]: compiling netCDF

> Full Name: Sheo Prasad
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Please help in the following two problems.
>
> (1) How to create a platform-independent netCDF /bin and more
> importantly the libraries in /lib in a Linux operating system.

Howdy Sheo!

I'm not sure what you mean by question 1.

> (2) what CC CXX flags should be used if I am compiling netCDF on a
> Linux x86_64 operating system to get a build that will work with my
> 32-bit Fortran compiler (that works fine on my x86_64 machine). At the
> present compiling netCDF on OpenSUSE x86_64 machine is giving me a very
> difficult time. I am just not succeeding.

If you have a 32-bit fortran compiler, you need to compile netCDF in 32 bit
mode for your C compiler.

Look at the man pages for what option to use, it depends on compiler. If you
are using the GNU C compiler, it is -m32.

> It has been a hassle every time I build netCDF. If I succeed in
> building one version on a machine and its operating system it becomes
> incompatible on other. How could I build netCDF in a way that all the
> libraries used to create this are statically build into the compiled
> netCDF so that I can use it on other machines also.

The netcdf library is built statically by default. But that doesn't make it
possible to use it on machines of different architectures. You must build a
copy for each architecture.

Good luck,

Ed

Ticket ID: GVV-239750