[netCDF #MPL-618419]: Problem building in cygwin.

> Hi Ed,
>
> Success! That definitely fixed it.  I just did a successful full build of the
whole thing but not with shared libraries.  I didn't install yet, though.  I
thought
> I might ask your advice.  Originally, I did this because I wanted to be able
to run a simulation code that used netCDF for its dump files, and the static
> libraries should suffice for that. But it's a pretty nice package so I'll
probably use it for many things and as a way of saving simulation data myself.

Great. There are lots of visualization tools available as well.

> So what's your advice on the shared libraries?  Should I go back to configuer
and have it make the DLLs, as well?  What would be the advantage of that?

Nope, just go with what you've got. You will never notice the difference.

Here's a FAQ that explains about shared libraries:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#shared_intro

> Perhaps the ability to use other tools you guys have? I'll also install the
full documentation.

> I keep feeling like I need to appologize.  I had forgotten that my
environment had gotten a little messed up.  When I first installed Cygwin, I
ran into these
> problems that occur when you install Cygwin on Vista.  I was doing this on my
own and it ended up taking a week or a little longer to get it to work right
> because of these weird issues with having to run "rebaseall" and x-windows
complaining about /tmp/.X11-unix not having being owned by root (XWin.exe
> automatically sets the "sticky" bit so xterm doesn't think it can update the
window handle, but that's only when it hasn't been rebased).  So I spent a lot
> of time experimenting and searching the Cygwin mailing list archives to find
different peoples' responses to the same and similar problems.  In the
> process, I edited the default profile that I had copied into /etc (a no-no)
and accidentally lost where it appended the binary directories to the PATH.
> Ultimately, I ended up compensating, for the most part, by getting those
directories in my Windows $Path variable, following somebody's stupid answer
> for some related problem they had encountered from the mailing list.
>
> So tonight, I restored the default profile (which automatically gets updated
when you update Cygwin) to /etc, added the library paths to $PATH (which is
> where you have to put them in Cygwin) using my local .bashrc file and got rid
of any Cygwin directories in my Windows $Path.  This is a whole lot saner
> and I expect a few other things will work better now. And now the /usr/bin
directory automatically comes before Windows when you're running Cygwin so
> it netCDF built with no problems.
>
> Still, I think this may provide you with some useful information for your
support work.  You now know that, at least on the newer distributions, you
> MUST have /usr/bin before the Windows system directory to even build the
netCDF libraries.  It's not just a matter of linking fortran code to the
library.
> If you don't have the Cygwin binary paths first, libtool will choke on and
give the error I saw because it uses uses the DOS "sort" command in it's error
> handling when its trying to use the unix "sort".  If people haven't messed up
their Cygwin paths the way I did, this shouldn't occur. But it's pretty easy to
> mess up, given that the Cygwin folks haven't automated or very
well-documented yet what you have to do to get Cygwin's X-windows to work on
Vista.

> Bye,
> -Mike

I'm glad it all worked out in the end!