[netCDF #FOQ-804098]: Distribution of netCDF with other software.

> Hello,
>
> This isn't really a support question, but I couldn't find any other
> email address about licensing questions on your site.
>
> I am part of a team at the Joint Center for Satellite Data Assimilation
> at the NOAA Science Center in Camp Springs MD that works on the
> Community Radiative Transfer Model (CRTM). It's a (simple) library
> written in Fortran95 that computes satellite instrument radiances for
> use in the Data Assimilation systems here.
>
> Currently all of our working datafiles (coefficients, lookup tables,
> etc) are in netCDF format. However, our operational files are simple
> unformatted, sequential Fortran format files (we refer to them as
> "binary") converted from the netCDF files. We maintain both little and
> big-endian formats for various users -- and all the software to do the
> reading/writing/conversions/etc. It's a bit of a maintenance headache.
>
> I want to switch everything to use netCDF exclusively and avoid the use
> of the "binary" files. A poll of our users revealed most are in favour
> of this shift, with the condition that they don't have to
> install/maintain netCDF on their systems; that is, that the netCDF
> library is supplied, and installed, with the CRTM build.
>
> What is the UCAR policy regarding us distributing netCDF with our
> software to various users? I have read the licensing statement webpage
> and it would appear there is no problem, but I'm a scientist not a
> lawyer so I thought I'd double check.
>
> Thanks for any information.
>
> cheers,
>
> paulv

You may redistribute the netcdf library freely.

However I note that it is almost always easier to keep netCDF separate from
your software, so that if we come out with a new version, perhaps containing
important patches, your users can upgrade without waiting for you to come out
with a new version of your package...

Good luck!

Ed

Ticket ID: FOQ-804098