[netCDF #FRL-611318]: Building/Installing netCFD

Hi Jaafar,

> - I want to install PGI Compiler from PGROUP in my system (Red HAT
> LINUX86 WITH 64 BIT). Should I remove netCDF since I installed it with
> g95? and then install it again with PGI compiler?

No, it's not necessary to remove the old installation.  You can just build
and install netCDF again after the PGI compiler is installed and working.
The new installation will replace the old one, if you specify the same
place for installation (or again use the default of "/usr/local").

> -How I make sure that netCFD library installed properly and working
perfectly?

As part of building and installing netCDF from source, you will run the
command "make check".  This runs thousands of tests and takes several minutes
to verify whether everything that was just built actually works.  If all the
tests pass and "make check" completes without an error message, then
the build and test step worked.  Then yu run the command "make install"
(or you have run both steps at once with "make check install") and that
command will complete with a message that begins:

 Congratulations! You have successfully installed netCDF!

As a shortcut on Redhat Linux, you can just often just run your "package
manager"
which is a program on your desktop.  It will show a list of optional packages
install, and netCDF is listed among the optional packages on recent Linux
systems.
Just select that and let the package manager do all the work of installing
things
in the right place.  When its done, you should have a utility program named
"ncdump", and you can make sure it's available by just invoking

  ncdump -k

which will produce output ending with the library version you have installed.

--Russ

Ticket ID: FRL-611318
Department: Support netCDF