[netCDF #LEW-476569]: Problem building netcdf-3.6.0

> We did find a work-around in that we built 3.6.2 and
> used that. Even that seemed to have some issues, on
> the machine where we are working it seemed to detect
> the Portland Group fortran compilers, and tried to use
> those and the build failed. In the end I built
> it on a machine without the protland stuff
> installed - just a gnu compile - and copied
> it across to our development machine.

Howdy Niles!

While 3.6.2 is better than 3.6.0, it was released over a year ago, and the
recent 3.6.3 or 4.0 releases would be a better choice. (If you don't care about
the new features of netCDF-4, then use the 3.6.3 release.

Quick installation instructions can be found here for 3.6.3:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/old_docs/docs_3_6_3/netcdf-install/Quick-Instructions-for-Installing-NetCDF-on-Unix.html

The problems you are reporting relate to the fortran API, a frequent source of
build problems. You must specify the fortran compiler at configure time, along
with any options that you need to compile programs on your platform.

Please let me know if you need any more help.

Ticket ID: LEW-476569
Department: Support netCDF