[netCDF #GMX-551614]: [netcdfgroup] Cygwin and 3.6.3

Hi Paul,

Ed is out of the office until Monday and will have a definitive answer,
but I think the cygwin build is still building a "libnetcdf.a" library
by default, rather than a "libnetcdf.lib" library file.

The only evidence I have for this is the record of the successful test
build of the netcdf-3.6.3-beta1 release on June 11 on a Cygwin system,
recorded here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/3_6_3/DUDLEY_CYGWIN_NT-5.1_netcdf-3.6.3-beta1_2008-06-11-23-51.txt

which at least shows that using all the defaults, libnetcdf.a was made and
installed with this beta release.  Unfortunately, I can't find a record of
a successful build, test, and install for the final 3.6.3 release and can't
test it myself, as I don't have a Windows login configured for that.

As a workaround, you might recommend that people install the 3.6.3-beta1
release until we get the problem resolved.  It's at:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/old/netcdf-3.6.3-beta1.tar.gz

but we can't support that release, so if there are problems with it, users
will have to download a later release.

--Russ

--Russ

Ticket ID: GMX-551614