[netCDF #ASH-735831]: GRD file

Hi Melanie,

re:
> Can you tell me how to use this GRD file in ArcGIS?  It does not work for me
> and I don't know why.

A quick look at your file using the netCDF utility 'ncdump' shows that it is
indeed a netCDF file:

% ncdump -h cookinletmodel_i.grd

netcdf cookinletmodel_i {
dimensions:
        side = 2 ;
        xysize = 909121 ;
variables:
        double x_range(side) ;
                x_range:units = "degrees_east" ;
        double y_range(side) ;
                y_range:units = "degrees_north" ;
        double z_range(side) ;
                z_range:units = "meters" ;
        double spacing(side) ;
        int dimension(side) ;
        float z(xysize) ;
                z:scale_factor = 1. ;
                z:add_offset = 0. ;
                z:node_offset = 0 ;

// global attributes:
                :title = "Regridded Model Bathymetry for Cook Inlet Alaska" ;
                :source = "xyz2grd cookinletmodel_i.dat -R205/212/58.25/62.75
                -I30c/15c -Gcookinletmodel_i.grd
                -Ddegrees_east/degrees_north/meters/1/0/Regridded Model
                Bathymetry for Cook Inlet Alaska/" ;
}

but the file does not follow CF or COORDS conventions (CF or COORDS compliancy
would be indicted in a global attribute), it is unlikely that it will be
viewable
"out of the box" in ArcGIS.

Since we are not experts-in nor do we provide support-for ArcGIS, we think that
it is better for you to pose your question directly to ESRI support.  That
being said,
here are some useful references on the use of netCDF in ESRI tools:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Displaying_netCDF_data

There's also some good information about the need for CF compliance in:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=FAQs_about_working_with_netCDF_data

Ticket ID: ASH-735831
Department: Support netCDF