Re: CF support in netcdf-java

Hi Joe:

There are definitely some areas I dont support. I add support if  1) it has
some effect on the
correct operation of one of my methods and 2) if I have a real example of it
and 3) someone actually
wants it.

I do have most of the grid mappings and projections supported, as well as the
dimensionless vertical
coordinates, as these are needed by the IDV for correct georeferencing. In
fact, weve been proposing
the addition of new projections, as well as clarifying projection parameters
for use in small scale
apps like GIS.

Of course, all the CF information is always passed through so that the
application can use it if it
knows how.

Joe Sirott wrote:
Hi John,

I was wondering what subset of CF the NetCDF java library fully supports
-- for instance, are some of the more esoteric metadata (grid mappings
and projections) supported? If not, are you planning on adding support
for this?

As I've been attempting to support the CF conventions in my software,
I've noticed that lots of stuff in CF can't be read by any existing
software libraries. While that might be fine if CF is only used as an
archive format, it's pretty troubling if CF is to be used as a data
exchange format.

Cheers, Joe S